Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Success....


Success.... remember way back to the post about planting our first garden this year... well it worked.. at least most of it did. The Lettuce was a little bitter, and we ended up not using any of it , the peppers produced lots and they were pretty good ....the snake beans plant had beans on it .. though we never picked any and never tried them....the tomatoes we got a few nice red ones... but no one like tomatoes at our house so we gave them away... The hit this year was the peas....  my kids loved to go out there and pick some while they were playing and snack on them ... that's one plant for next year I know I need to plant more of , we only got a handful of good ones seeing out garden was pretty little ... Hayden is still looking forward to digging up the carrots , but to be honest I have no idea when you do that!! we really are just beginners at this.
 I don't think I watered enough, I was not sure when to pick things , I hated pulling the weeds so I left it most the time .. BUT all in all the boys loved having a garden of there own and looked forward to picking the things that looked ready and best of all eating it ... so I think even though we did not get even enough to live off for two days let alone the winter , we had fun and learned some things along the way.....
And for the fresh produce that we still need theres always the Farmers Market!

1 comment:

Marie said...

Aimee loves harvesting the peas. Seriously! She is out there making sure each one gets appreciated. She also loves the idea of 'storing them for winter' and is a great helper shelling them so I can freeze 'em.

Good on ya for gardening!